THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#230633 - 02/01/04 07:10 PM "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
escapee Offline
Spawner

Loc: Marysville, Wa., USA
Where do you draw the line between illegal guiding and collecting gas money for a fishing trip?In "Gas money" I am also counting boat launch fees, truck gas, bait , gear, 2stroke oil and any other costs incurred in a day fishing. Does it really matter if you know the guys you're taking with you?

#230634 - 02/01/04 07:41 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
pillarking Offline
Parr

Loc: Marysville
Escapee,

I'll admit I can't see where exactly you are going with this but my.02 are as follows.
Since only a couple people I know have boats, I typically am supplying the boat when fishing the salt. Should I be leaving from Marysville to Sekiu for example I wouldn't even have to ask for their contribution. Letting them pay for gas or ferry or food or all the above would not make me a guide. If I didn't know the people prior to the trip in my opinion wouldn't change anything. I believe if I supplied all of the above as well as the gear to catch fish, I would be considered guiding. Keep in mind this is the angle I thought you were going with this thread.

#230635 - 02/01/04 10:46 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
"If we take your boat, I'll buy the gas, bait, and beer".

I don't see a problem with that, even if you've never fished with them before.

Now, if you both live in Monroe and his share of the gas, bait, and beer to do Ben Howard to Lewis St. cost him $300.00, then you might be talkin' a different story.

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#230636 - 02/01/04 11:23 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
Rapid Robert Offline
Spawner

Loc: Selah Wa.
This seems to come up a lot.
Dose anyone know anybody who was ever busted for taking gas money for taking their buddies fishing on their boat?
I never have.

#230637 - 02/02/04 12:00 AM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I haven't looked into the Washington Laws, but the Oregon laws have an explicit exception for the sharing of trip expenses. Since in general Oregon and Washington have fairly coordinated laws, I'd be surprised if there is an issue. I certainly have never heard of a problem. And god knows I'm a slut about asking for contributions.

#230638 - 02/02/04 12:24 AM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
If your boating/fishing the salt then your in Coast Guard jurisdiction and they go by the CFR's (code of federal regulations) which basically says, if the boat owner accepts any kind of gift or money for his services he is a boat for hire/charter.
That being said, the marine safety officer that tested me for my license said he didn't personally know of anyone who had ever been cited for accepting "minimal" amounts of fuel money, I don't think he said specifically what "minimal" meant.
Personally, I wouldn't sweat it.

#230639 - 02/02/04 02:36 AM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd:
"If we take your boat, I'll buy the gas, bait, and beer".
Man, you're generous.... I'd settle for just buying beer... but then again you probably couldn't afford that either! J/k

Thats my philosophy too.

beer

#230640 - 02/02/04 11:40 AM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
Kev Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell, Wa
What's the old saying: Boats don't run on "Thank You's" and "I had a great time!". That being said, pitching in for gas and bait is the curtious thing to do and will more than likely get you another invite back.
wink

Kev

#230641 - 02/02/04 12:02 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Exactly what kev said.

#230642 - 02/02/04 09:48 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
BAITCASTER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: SEQUIM WA
Im with KEV on this one! moose

#230643 - 02/02/04 10:49 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
Rob Allen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver WA
guides license is only 180 bucks.. why not just get one then go ahead and charge 300 bucks for gas bait and food.. laugh

#230644 - 02/03/04 10:51 AM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
This issue is more of a USCG than WDFW issue, according to USCG someone buying you breakfast, gas, etc in trade or as a good gesture for taking you fishing constitutes a boat for hire which means that you have to have your CG License when fishing in Federal navigatable waters. I think if WDFW wanted to push the issue they could also site you for guiding without a license in trade for breakfast, gas etc.

#230645 - 02/03/04 11:19 AM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
Kev Offline
Spawner

I realize we are straying off subject here and I know nothing about rules or regs regarding a "Guides License". Isn't the guides license that a Guide pays $180 for, good for only fishing on rivers? I think you need to be CG licensed and have a 6-pack Salmon license (hard to come by) to take people out (as a Charter) on the salt to fish for Salmon.
Again, I could be way off base here...

Anyway interesting subject, I'm always curious how other boat owners and their fishing buddies handle what could be an awkward situation. I usually supply the gear (unless they have their own or I have fished with before and they bring their own) and say pitch in a few $$$ for gas.

Kev

#230646 - 02/03/04 12:11 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

I've owned both Salt and Drift boats and neither are cheap to own/operate. When I'm invited along with a friend to fish I definetly pay launch, share gas and maybe breakfast. Licenses, Insurance, and Storage don't come cheap. The only reason I can think of anyone not offering to help out is because they've never owned a boat and are unaware of the costs. If you don't help out, shame on you.

#230647 - 02/03/04 01:40 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
Haifisch Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale WA
I have a boat and I don't ask for or take money to fish, my philosophy being it doesn't cost me more to go fishing with a buddy then without a buddy. Yeah, they offer, but I usually turn it down, but sandwiches, soda, that is nice. My buddies have also spontaneously got me replacement gear when it was lost (cannonball or flashers, misc. tackle) and I have done the same for guys I know and fished with before I got a boat.

#230648 - 02/03/04 02:51 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
RK43 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
If I take some one out on my boat and I foot the bill for the bait, gas, and launch. I expect a few green backs my way. Although I won't ask for it. They just don't get another invite.

#230649 - 02/03/04 02:53 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
Slimebucket Offline
Parr

Loc: Auburn,Wa
Kev, There is a couple of different licenses required for guiding. Rivers and Lakes: you will need either a steelhead license wich is 180$,or a salmon license wich is 150$, or both. In either case you are required to have a USCG 6 pack license, wich by the way are not hard to come by, you just have to go to school for it, Lick the maritime acadamy in ballard. Now as for salt water, you still need the USCG license, but , you cannot buy a charter license anymore, unless you buy out a charter business wich would probly cost you your first born child, your house and your left nut because they are not cheap! Plus it costs 400-500$ a year just to renew it each year! I hope that I explained it to you good enuff to understand. And by the way, If a Coasty came up on me while fishn and asked if my friends bought gas of food, or what ever, I would just say "Nope".

#230650 - 02/03/04 03:54 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
Gregor Offline
Smolt

Loc: America
Set the record straight so y'all don't have an excuse. laugh

The law was amended with the signing of the Passenger Vessel Safety Act of 1993.

You can now VOLUNTARILY share the expenses of a trip without creating a "passenger for hire" situation!!

Making contributions MANDATORY for passage, creates a "passenger for hire" situation. Consequently the vessel's operator must be licensed by the USCG to operate as a charter vessel.

#230651 - 02/03/04 04:44 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
Kev Offline
Spawner

Thanks Slimebucket, like I said I wasn't claiming to know the breakdown of each license or am trying to get one. I knew it wasn't as easy as paying $180 and your covered. Besides per Gregor's post, this is really not an issue.

Kev

#230652 - 02/03/04 07:51 PM Re: "gas $$" or "illegal guiding" ???
bpascoe13 Offline
Egg

I don't think you have to worry about gettting busted for guiding illegally if you are taking buddies fishing and you are sharing trip expenses. I am a fishing guide and the fish cops can tell when I am guiding and when my buddies and I are out fishing. Intent is a large part of any kind of legal prosecution. If you intend to be a fishing guide for profit, get liscensed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, wolverine), 1118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |